The Whole Life Challenge has crept up on me again (I know, I know), which meant not, as some would assume, that I spent the last week practicing healthy habits so that when the Challenge started it was less of a culture shock. What it actually meant was that it was time to stuff my face with all of the delicious things that I am no longer allowed.
Over the past couple of days, I ate pancakes (with sprinkles in them!), macaroni and cheese, ice cream sandwiches, pizza, buttered scones, and rice krispie squares, along with a heaping side of guilt and regret.
But not that much regret. I have the next eight weeks to exercise self control.
Rice Krispie Squares
Lightly adapted from the original
- 1/3 cup butter
- 40 large marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 cups rice krispies
- Line a 9×13″ pan with tin foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then keep stirring it over the heat until it’s brown – it’ll start to foam a little and separate, and then you’ll get tiny caramelized bits. It’ll smell slightly nutty.
- Decrease the heat to low and add in the marshmallows. Keep stirring until they’re all melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add in the rice krispies and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared 9×13″ pan, press flat, and smooth the top. Cool completely before cutting into squares.